Fairy Tale Writing
Before you can write a fairty tale it is important to know the characteristics that define this particular narrative form. For a story to be considered a fairytale it must include most - 6 or more, of the characteristics from the list below.
1) Begins with Once Upon a Time, Once long ago, Long, long ago etc.
2) Story setting is usually in a castle, forest , or town
3) Story has good / nice characters
4) Story has mean / bad characters
5) Many of the characters are animals or members of royalty
6) Story has magic
7) Story has the numbers 3 or 7 in it
8) Story has a problem
9) Problem in the story is solved
10) Good wins / outsmarts bad
11) Ending is "happily ever after"
A Collection of Fairy Tales
Image: Krystn Palmer, The Twelve Dancing Princesses, April 11, 2009, Attribution, http://bit.ly/hAmE8l
Video Clip: Edmonton Public Library, The Three Little Pigs Puppet Show, July 28, 2006, http://youtu.be/mWwbXRA__g8
Handout: Ms. Jacoby's (teacher from MA) Classrom site, Fairytal Resources http://bit.ly/fvRTBu